Note: all names published on this blog are pseudonyms.

Cycle # 3 Presentation

Cycle # 2 Presentation

Cycle # 1 Presentation

3.11.2008

Action - Minilesson 03/11/2008


Teaching Point: Good readers prepare themselves for library visits by thinking about what books they are interested in, and remembering the ‘just right books’ or the ‘three-finger’ rule.

Needed: Chart paper Books Library access

Connection: Readers, last week, you have learned that good readers think about the main character in their books by making note of his/her feelings, actions, and if they would be a good friend or not. Today, we are going to visit the library at 11:10and before we go, I want you to know that good readers prepare themselves for library visits, and one way to do it is by thinking about what books they are interested in reading, and remembering the just right books rules. So in other words, they think about the genres that they like (mystery, humor, nonfiction etc.), or series like Junie B Jones, Magic Tree house, etc., or they favorite picture books, and they also remember what are just right books, because you don’t want to get a book that is too hard or too easy for you. It is important that you get the book that you can finish from cover to cover, and something that you enjoy reading.

Teaching: So, let me show you what I mean. There are lots of books in this basket, and so, imagine in the library, there are 10 times more!! So it is very hard to pick something if you don’t know what you want, because I know that you have a time limit there, and unfortunately, you can’t stay there all morning. So here, I am going to write down some of my choices on a post-it note so I can bring this down, and remember what I want when I go down to the library later. So let me think… [I know last week, I read a picture book called Ruby Sings the Blues, I also read some Henry and Mudge books, so what do I want to read now? I know l like picture books a lot. So let me write that down on my post-it, [picture book], and I like the Henry and Mudge series, but I also heard good things from Jacari about Junie B. Jones, so I am going to give it a shot [writing on post-it], and I am going to choose one more, just in case, I can’t find a good picture books, or if Junie B. Jones is not my reading level. Hmm… let me see. I know I haven’t been reading any non-fiction, and what do I like the most? I really like dolphins. So maybe I can look for books about dolphins or sea mammals. Great, so now that I have the list with me, I am sort of ready to go. But, when I go down there, I need to see if those books are ‘just right’ for me. How do I know? Well, there is the three-finger rule. [show chart], you can do this by reading the first page of the book and if you miss how many [question], right 3 words or more, then that book is too difficult for you. And what if you only missed 2, or 3 words? Right, then it is a just right book [demonstrate]. Good, so when a book is too easy for you, you will probably not miss any words at all, and that’s when you can pick something a bit more challenging.

Active Engagement: So let’s see if you can do it. I want you to close your eyes now, and think of 2 kinds of books that you really want to read, and one for backup, just in case the two books you want to get is not available. Remember, you can choose books by genres, series, authors, books you have read before, or books you’ve heard about before. Thumbs up when you have three kinds of books, now turn and talk to your partners, share the books you are going to pick, and remind each other what the three-finger rule is. Go.

Link: Great job readers. So today, you have learned that good readers prepare for library visits, and one way they do it is by thinking about what books they are interested in reading, and remembering the three-finger rule. So when you go back to your seat in a second, I am going to hand out post-its so you can write your book choice down, and then we are going to read for 30 minutes independently. Then, at 11:10, we are going down to the library, and you may bring your post-it with you so you know what books to pick. Are you ready to do some ready? Great!

No comments: