Note: all names published on this blog are pseudonyms.

Cycle # 3 Presentation

Cycle # 2 Presentation

Cycle # 1 Presentation

3.06.2008

Independent Reading Observation

Exhibit 17

During independent reading, I observed Jesse closely (see exhibit 17). As I walked over to him and asked if he had set a goal for today’s reading, he was very reluctant. As I observe him more, I notice that he is very resistant to instructions. By the time I left him alone, he started reading on his own. However, it was still an on and off process. I believe that some days, I just couldn’t get him to work and read. It seems like the more attention I give to him, the more reluctant he becomes. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Grace Enriquez said...

Pay close attention to what else is going on during the days he seems "off." From a sociocultural view of literacy, reading does not occur in a vacuum. Is he getting along with other students? Was he reprimanded for something else during another part of the day? How is he positioned in class by peers? By the teacher? By your own instructions and language use? The answers may lie in there, and not necessarily be rooted in a problem with reading.

Jenny said...

Revised Entry

That’s a good point Grace. Now that I am paying close attention to his overall behavior in the classroom, I find that Jesse does have a number of students he is closer with. The student who sits beside him, Johnise, is a quiet girl, who is most of the time displaying positive modeling for Jesse. Whenever Jesse is lost in his task, sometimes Johnise will tell him what to do spontaneously. Often, Jesse does not show resistance in listening to her advice as much as he resists Ms. Jane or myself. At other times, he often gets distractions from two other boys who sit on the other side of the classroom. They will make faces to each other or walk over during reading to draw attention.

Having this piece of information, I now begin to think more carefully, I have to agree that it is not necessarily the reading that is turning Jesse “off”; it is a combination of issues – the distraction and influences around him. I think that grouping pays an important part to Jesse’s learning performance in this case. Obviously, positive role models are much needed to help Jesse to focus and direct him on track. My next step is to communicate this issue with Ms. Jane and hopefully come up with some new plan that could further help Jesse to focus in his tasks.