Note: all names published on this blog are pseudonyms.

Cycle # 3 Presentation

Cycle # 2 Presentation

Cycle # 1 Presentation

3.24.2008

The Rationale of Cycle #3

After cycle #2, I have had a much deeper understanding of the two boys, in respect to their learning habits, behavior, preferences, and abilities. In cycle #2, I had an opportunity to introduce a variety of texts, which included a number of picture books that contained characters and plots that they were able to relate and connect to. Aside from reading aloud to them, I also provided them opportunities for them to identity themselves as readers by knowing their personal preference and choosing just-right books. This has definitely improved their motivation and increased their stamina in reading, especially for Nathan.

Having this large piece of observation and data in front of me, I began to think about what other types of texts that could motivate them. After discussing with Ms. Jane (host teacher), I found out that the next unit of study is poetry, then I began to think: 'Alright, so poetry! What kind of interesting work could I introduce to these kids?' Almost immediately, I thought of ENVISIONING.

From various articles that I have been reading for my research, there are some assumptions that have been made by educators. For example, Moloney (2002) advocates that the types of books that boys like to read are: action fiction, books in series, science fiction, or fantasy, and non-fiction materials. So I began to ask myself, how can I break away from these assumptions that boys only enjoy reading materials that are aforementioned. Could boys also enjoy poetry, and be creative poets and write about things that matter to them and that they can relate to? Knowing that Ms. Jane is going to introduce poetry, I decided to go along with her plan and think of some interesting ways to capture these boys into reading. In this cycle, I am going to let the students to assimilate the art of poetry by doing shared reading, and a lot of work on envisioning using art form to display and express their thinking about texts.

As Calkins (2001) describes, shared reading consists of multiple re-readings that involves both parties: teachers/adults and children. This kind of accountability allows both adults and children to experience more social interaction during reading time, hence helps develop children's identity as a reader.

1 comment:

Grace Enriquez said...

Nice transition to cycle 3. I especially appreciate that you are thinking critically about research and readings that are currently out there about your topic.